- 150g Billington’s Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 250g Butter (200g for Cake and 50g for buttercream)
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 80ml Semi-Skimmed Milk (50ml for cake and 30ml for buttercream)
- 150g Allinson Nature Friendly White Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp. Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 70g dried strawberry pieces (50g for cake and 20g for buttercream)
- 125g Silver Spoon Icing Sugar
- 25g clotted cream
- 1 packet of meringue nests, broken into pieces
- 1 punnet fresh strawberries
- Sugar coated fennel seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC, Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the caster sugar and 200g of the butter in a food mixer on high speed using the beater attachment for 5 minutes.
- Slowly beat the eggs, one at a time, and then 50ml milk.
- Add the flour, Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract, ground almonds and 50g of the dried strawberry pieces and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake moulds and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the tops of the cakes are even in colour and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool on a wire tray.
- Soften the rest of the butter in a bowl in an 850w microwave on high for 10 seconds, transfer to a food mixer and beat on high speed for 1 minute. Slowly mix in the icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Add the rest of the milk & keep on whisking until light & creamy. Add the clotted cream.
- When the cakes are cool, using a piping bag with a star nozzle – pipe the clotted buttercream in the traditional way.
- Sprinkle the broken meringue pieces and wedges of fresh strawberry on top.
- To finish sprinkle some sugar coated fennel seeds (which you can buy online or at Asian supermarkets). They look like hundreds and thousands but will give you a unimaginery taste sensation