These unusual cakes are made with two fantastic olive oils from Nudo. The mandarins and basil are cold pressed with the olives in the first press, which gives you a fantastic flavour in the final product. I’ve paired the flavours with chocolate as they work very well together. The cake is also made very easily with flour, cocoa powder, sugar, water and olive oil so in moderation…a healthy chocolate cake!
Serves 8-10 people
- 250g plain flour
- 350g demerara sugar
- 65g plain cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml water
- 100g Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces
- 250ml Nudo Mandarin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, dark chocolate and salt. Pour in water, olive oil and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- Place into an 8” loose bottomed lined cake tin or individual cupcakes.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny.
- Leave to cool before topping with the Basil ganache.
- 250g whipping cream
- 60ml Nudo Basil Olive Oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 500g Chocolate (45% cocoa solids)
- Place the cream, oil and honey into a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil.
- Once boiled, carefully pour over the chocolate.
- Leave for 1 minute before carefully stirring it together to create a glossy, shiny emulsified ganache.
- Leave this to cool before piping on top of the cooled cakes.
- Alternatively you could use this truffles, pipe into balls and roll in tempered chocolate or cocoa. Enjoy!