This unusual cake is made with two fantastic olive oils from Nudo. The mandarins and basil are cold pressed with the olives in the first press, which gives you a fantastic flavour in the final product. I’ve paired the flavours with chocolate as they work very well together. Made very easily with flour, cocoa powder, sugar, water and olive oil this is, in moderation, a healthy chocolate cake!
- 85g ready-to-eat dried apricots
- 500g butternut squash
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp Nudo Thyme Olive Oil
- 60ml Nudo Lemon Olive Oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225g plain white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 225g ground almonds
- 1 orange zest
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 450g golden caster sugar
- Apricot Jam
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into small cubes.
- Place the squash and apricots into a roasting tin and drizzle with honey and a tablespoon of the Nudo Thyme Olive Oil. Roast in the oven for 30 mins.
- Purée the apricots and roasted squash in a food processor or with a hand-held mixer until very smooth, adding the eggs and Nudo Lemon Olive Oil.
- Place the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ground almonds, orange zest, mixed spice, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs, oil, apricot and squash purées and mix until they are just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, smooth the tops, and bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating the tins half-way through, until the cakes have risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- When cooked heat some apricot jam and brush over to give a lovely shiny glaze.